For quite a few years now, farmhouse sinks have been a popular choice for kitchens. This trend has now moved into the bathroom, with more and more homeowners opting for farmhouse bathroom sinks. If you aren’t familiar with these sinks, they feature an apron-front design, meaning that the front of the sink is flush with the front of the countertops, extending downward to the top of the cabinets.
While using farmhouse sinks in the bathroom is a relatively new concept, it does offer quite a few advantages. At the same time, however, there are also a couple of drawbacks associated with this trend. To learn more about the pros and cons of these sinks, keep reading.
Some of the benefits of choosing a farmhouse sink for your bathroom include the following:
– A fresh, modern look with old-world charm. The farmhouse style is one of today’s most popular decorating trends. This style brings elements of the past into today’s homes. Apron sinks definitely fall into this category. Sinks like these have been around for hundreds of years, giving them a sense of old-world charm. At the same time, however, they are right on trend, which can help your home look fresh and up-to-date.
– Less splashing. Farmhouse sinks tend to be quite deep. As a result, water is less likely to splash out of them when you are washing your face, brushing your teeth, or doing other sink-related activities. This can help minimize messes on your bathroom countertops, making it easier to keep the space clean and dry.
– Easier to use. Traditional bathroom sinks are inset into the countertop, meaning that they are mounted a few inches back from the front edge of the vanity. In order to use these sinks, you need to lean over, which can cause strain on your lower back. With a farmhouse or apron-front sink, on the other hand, the sink is mounted flush with the front of the countertops. That eliminates the need to bend over, making them easier to access and use.
Even though farmhouse sinks have a lot to offer when it comes to bathroom design, there are a few minor drawbacks to using them, as well:
– Changing to a different sink style in the future may be challenging. The apron front of the sink cuts down into the front of the vanity. If you decide that you want to replace the sink in the future, that means that you most likely will need to replace the entire vanity. As long as you don’t plan any major upgrades, however, this shouldn’t be an issue.
– These sinks tend to cost more. Compared to traditional sinks, most farmhouse-style bathroom sinks are a little bit pricier, meaning that you may need to budget extra money to buy one.
There are advantages and disadvantages associated with farmhouse bathroom sinks. Overall, however, they are a great investment for any bathroom. Their attractive design can enhance your space, helping it look fresh and up-to-date. At the same time, the sinks themselves are deep and wide, making them extremely functional and easy to use.